I help nonprofit executives launch bold and future-oriented projects. Through strategic advice, independent research, and facilitation, I help leaders answer important questions and help organizations move forward in changing times.
For some clients, I am a more involved “special projects director” for hire. For others, I come in for one day to facilitate an important conversation. I’m thoughtful, inquisitive, independent, and action-oriented.
Most of my work is with the core nonprofit sector and organizations that support the sector (funders, capacity builders, volunteer centres, umbrella organizations, government, educational institutions).
Unique approaches that my clients value:
- My commitment to independence: I give frank insight and advice. I’m not tied to an organization or ideological self interest.
- Systems approach: I see connections and opportunities among unlikely ideas and people.
- Multiple levels of thinking: I can look at a situation from a 10,000m view and think vision and strategy, and then zoom down to the 1m view and consider the minutia of what makes projects tick.
- Quick action: I can take projects off the corner of your desk and run with them so you have one less thing to worry about.
- Broad knowledge base: My value is in my strategic thinking, research abilities and facilitation skills, and I bring these talents to issues and topics as diverse as volunteer engagement, open data, impact investing, social innovation policy, board governance, vulnerable populations, introverts in the nonprofit sector, and more.
I do work as 27 Shift Consulting. 27 Shift is based in Vancouver, BC, and works with clients across North America. When a project could benefit from additional minds, I bring on other independent folk to deliver results.
Select client list
Funders and capacity builders
- Vancouver Foundation
- Social Venture Partners Vancouver
- Community Volunteer Connections
- Volunteer Canada
- Shuswap Community Foundation
- Charity Village
- Simon Fraser University, Vice President, External Relations
- Simon Fraser University, Vice President, Academic
- Simon Fraser University, Office for Aboriginal Peoples
- Simon Fraser University, Work Integrated Learning
- University of British Columbia, Community Learning Initiative
- Vancouver Community College, Vice President, Community
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Associate VP, Research
- Employment and Social Development Canada, Community Development and Partnerships Directorate, Policy Division
- Employment and Social Development Canada, Community Development and Partnerships Directorate, Social Partnerships Policy Unit
- Employment and Social Development Canada, Workplace Partnerships Directorate, Office of Literacy and Essential Skills
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Integration / FCRO Branch, Social Innovation Unit
- City of Vancouver, Corporate Communications
- Southern Interior Local Government Association
Nonprofit organizations and member-based associations
- BC Civil Liberties Association
- Reconciliation Canada
- Equal Voice
- Strathcona Business Improvement Association
- BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre
- BC Pediatric Society
- Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance