As you may know, I just started a podcast, and for those podcast-curious out there, here are the steps I used to make it happen.
- Create a name, description, and artwork for the podcast.
- Record an episode using Audacity on my MacBook. I used the internal microphone of my laptop.
- Format the recording using Audacity and iTunes, to get it ready to upload to my podcast host.
- I use Libsyn to host my podcast, and Blubrry to create the podcast feed (the latter is a plug-in in WordPress).
- Upload the episode to Libsyn.
- Format the settings for Blubrry in WordPress.
- Publish a blog post for the episode.
- Submit the feed created by Blubrry to iTunes and Stitcher.
It’s a little bit more complicated than this, so I highly recommend watching these two tutorial/ video series in order to walk through it.
They both cover similar information (both use Audacity, WordPress, Blubrry, and Libsyn), but each have some specific details that I found helpful.
I would say I spent about eight hours getting the first episode up. A lot of the time was spent watching the videos on the links above, and setting up things that I’ll never have to repeat again. I suspect other than the actual recording of an episode, I will need to spend about two hours per episode to get it formatted and online.