New to the Vancouver nonprofit scene? Young in age or young in career? Here are some places for you to get yourself started.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals Vancouver chapter (fundraising jobs)
- Alliance for Arts & Culture (arts organization jobs)
- GoodWork.ca (environmental and green jobs)
- Facebook groups:
- Individual organizations’ websites – time consuming but true. To find organizations that are connected to causes that interest you, visit the Red Book Online and browse by organization subject area and sub-subjects. The site is useful if you have time to browse.
- University/college job boards for students/alumni:
- Networking using the topics below.
- GoVolunteer.ca -1000s of volunteer opportunities, searchable by location, activity, organization type, etc.
- CharityVillage.com – volunteer opportunities around Vancouver and across Canada
- Craigslist.org – user-posted volunteer opportunities
- University/college volunteer postings:
Learn and network in person
- Net Squared Vancouver – ongoing series of casual but informative meetups on topics related to technology for social good
- Vantage Point – workshops on governance, management, HR, and more
- Groundswell – program to help you build a social venture
- Next Up – social justice leadership program
- RADIUS SFU – accelerators, fellowships, and trampolines for social innovators and social venturers
- The Digital Nonprofit conference
- Social Change Institute / Social Venture Institute / Web of Change – programs at Hollyhock on Cortes Island
- Learn about upcoming workshops by getting on the email lists for Net Squared, Vantage Point, Enterprising Non-Profits, and Volunteer BC, as they each send out information on their own and other’s upcoming workshops.
- Many volunteer centres or subsector umbrella organizations also offer workshops, so search those out if you are looking to connect to a specific community.
- Imagine Canada’s Sector Source – online library, resources
- CharityVillage.com – e-courses, webinars, articles, etc.
- HR Council – resources and info on human resources
- Enterprising Non-Profits – information about social enterprises
- BCIT Associate Certificate in Nonprofit Management
- SFU Certificate in Dialogue and Civic Engagement
- SFU Non-Profit Management Certificate
- Capilano Global Stewardship Associate of Arts degree
- Adler MPPA in social justice leadership
Blogs and news
- The Philanthropist
- Vantage Point blog
- From Our Vantage Point (podcast)
- CharityVillage Village Vibes weekly newsletter
- Imagine Canada blog
- Do Good Better Podcast
- Association of Fundraising Professionals Vancouver chapter (fundraisers)